Course Registration, General Details

Full-Time Status & 13-Credit Exemption Form

You are considered a full-time student during your working semesters as registering for a Co-op course automatically enrolls you for full-time status.

  • This allows you to continue to be eligible for financial aid, scholarships, etc.
  • This also means that you will be charged full time tuition.
  • You will need to submit the 13-Credit Exemption form on Onestop in order to reduce your tuition costs to a “per-credit” basis. This form is submitted to the CSE Office in 105 Lind Hall. After submitting this form, you should be charged only for the credits you are taking. 
    • Honors Students: your 13-credit exemption form wil be submitted to the Honors Advising Office.
  • Make sure to submit this form prior to paying your tuition bill.
  • This form is not required in the May term or summer semester.

Verifying Full-time Status

Insurance companies and scholarships often require proof of full-time student status. Please contact Enrollment verification can be done online through Onestop:

Students Not Yet in Upper Divison

Students must be in Upper Division before working at their Co-op employer. There are, however, occasional exceptions to this rule. The most common being, when an employer wants you to start work a few weeks before you expect your upper division acceptance, often at the start of the summer semester. Please contact the Co-op office if you find yourself in this situation so we can work out an exception.

Use the Upper Division Status form to update your status.

Finding the Co-op Courses on OneStop

The 3 Co-op courses are online courses, without a room number, day, or time, so be sure to set your search criteria accordingly. The letter prefixes and course number will change depending upon the major. Go to Course Registration, Major-Specific Details to learn which specific course to register for and if your major requires a permission number.

Be sure to drop your other courses for the semester you are working, if you've already registered - BUT DON'T DROP THEM until you have accepted the job offer.

It is not possible to take a full course load during a Co-op work semester, although some students do take an additional evening or online course. If you want to take two or more courses, in addition to the Co-op course, during any work term, you need to get permission from the Co-op Director.

Department Stamp Holds

All engineering students, including Co-op students, have a departmental stamp (DS) hold on their accounts. It is required that all students see a faculty adviser for an advising appointment and after meeting with an adviser, the DS hold is moved forward. The timing and process of moving this hold forward varies by department.

Prior to registration, make sure you do not have a DS hold on your account. Co-op students are not exempt from this hold and will not be allowed to register if the hold is present on their account for the semester they are attempting to register. Advising appointments fill up very quickly, especially as registration nears, so be sure to make an appointment early in the semester to ensure your hold is moved forward before registration begins.

Academic Probation

Academic probation can jeopardize your continued participation in the Co-op Program. Contact the Co-op Program director as soon as you realize this might be an issue for you.

Summer Semester

The Co-op summer semester will start in late May, to allow you more time to complete the academic assignments. If you are working a summer Co-op assignment but need to start the course later, due to a Global Seminar or another between-semester event, you should contact the Co-op office as soon as possible for a modified assignment schedule.

Summer registration is on a first-come, first-serve basis for the entire campus, so Co-op students should plan to register early, especially if taking regular coursework classes.

The 13-Credit Exemption form does not need to be filled out for summer semester. It is only applicable for fall and spring semesters.

Registering for other classes during the summer:  Co-op students are considered full-time students (even though they take only 2-4 credits). Therefore, the system thinks you have exceeded the maximum number of credits for summer and will not allow you to register for any more without permission. You will need to submit an Academic Policy Petition to the CSE Advising Office in 105 Lind Hall requesting to increase your summer  credit limit:

Student Services Fee

Once the 13-Credit Exemption form is submitted, you will no longer be charged the Student Services fee unless you are registered for 6 or more credits during fall or spring and 3 or more credits during summer semester. This means you will no longer have access to facilities and services paid for by this fee. For instance, you will not have access to the University of Minnesota Recreation Center, or Boynton Health Services.

Health Insurance

It also means that Co-op students who are currently using University-sponsored Student Health Benefit Plan will need to find an alternative health coverage plan during their working semesters as Co-op employers are not expected to provide health coverage.

Health insurance is required by the University, and students registered for six credits or more per semester (or three or more credits during summer term) will automatically be enrolled in the University-sponsored Student Health Benefit Plan or must waive the University-sponsored plan by providing proof of enrollment in an alternative Eligible Health Plan.

You can read more details about Health Insurance and the Co-op Program here.

Search this website:

Last updated on:

July 9, 2020