After you have read through this webpage and have determined that you are eligible to apply to the Co-op Program, then go to the Application Process page.
When to Apply
Students are encouraged to apply to the Co-op Program late in their sophomore year. Students applying during their junior or senior year may need to extend their graduation to accommodate their Co-op work sequence.
- Be an undergraduate CSE student in one of the majors in the Co-op Program.
- Graduate students are not eligible for the Co-op Program.
- Be in upper division OR
- Be within a semester of being accepted into CSE upper division, meaning you are applying for upper division during the same semester you are applying to the Co-op Program
- You may not register for 3041, the first Co-op course, or begin work as a Co-op, until you are officially accepted into upper division.
- Biomedical engineering students have to be officially accepted in their major before they can interview.
- Be in good academic standing
- Students on academic probation will not be admitted into the Co-op Program.
- Be in need of technical elective credits
- Have at least two semesters remaining after acceptance into the Co-op Program
- Must commit to at least two semesters of working as a Co-op student.
- Major-specific information can be found on the FAQ page.
|MAJOR||CUMULATIVE GPA MINIMUM|
|Biomedical||No minimum gpa required but the student will have to have completed the junior year and have completed all 3xxx BME classes before beginning work.|
|Industrial & Systems||2.5|
|Sophomore/Lower Division with intention to major in ME, ECE, or ISyE||2.8 Technical GPA|
|Sophomore/Lower Division with intention to major in Chemical Engineering or Materials Science||3.2 Technical GPA|
|Sophomore/Lower Division with intention to major in Biomedical Engineering||Not eligible to apply. Must be accepted into the major first.|
Transfer students can now apply in their first semester of CSE. Employers, however, are allowed to decline interviewing students until they have a UMN GPA. REVISED, 9-19-19.
Applying Multiple Times
Students may apply and interview no more than three semesters. Students that have not acquired a co-op position after three recruitment periods should focus on completing their degree and will not be allowed to apply for a fourth time.