Interviewing & Hiring Process
The Co-op Program has historically hosted a job fair and on-campus interviews in both Spring and Fall semesters. Starting in the fall of 2020, we will no longer host a Co-op Job Fair and will instead be integrated into the CSE Career Fair.
After the Career Fair, employers will be sent a list of all the accepted students for the current recruitment period. Student will also be able to apply to Co-op positions directly inside of Handshake. Employers will have access to all of the student profiles by searching for them in Handshake. Employers will then be free to choose which students they would like to interview and make offers to. This differs from our old system of manual matching, but we hope it will make things easier on both students and employers. Employers will have until the last day of the semester (fall 2020 = December 23rd, 2020) to notify the Co-op program of whom they have made offers to.
Since interviewing and candidate selection will now be up to the employer, we will no longer host an interview week on campus. However, after the pandemic ends (date unknown) we will be able to offer interview spaces on campus as needed through the CSE Career Center. When hiring a Co-op student, the employer agrees to hire the student for a full-time engineering Co-op position, spanning two or three semesters (do not need to be consecutive), paying the student a competitive wage.
The Co-op Program charges employers a service fee of $800 per working student per work semester, the equivalent of about 100 cents per hour. This fee is used to support the Co-op Program. It allows the Co-op office to provide continuous service to the students and employers without cutbacks at the University negatively affecting the program, as has happened in the past.
Out-of-town employers who want to participate in the Co-op Program are welcome to inquire. Please fill out the registration form and we will be in touch with you on how to accomodate your situation.
General Timeline of the Interviewing & Hiring Process
|Event or Deadline||Spring Semester||Fall Semester|
|Invitation to Participate Sent Out||Early January||Early August|
|Job Fair Registration||Late January||August through early September|
|CSE Job Fair||Early February||Mid-September|
|Interview Period||Any time after the Job Fair||Any time after the Job Fair|
|Employer-Student Matches Made||Offers to be finalized by employers before semester ends||Offers to be finalized by employers before semester ends|
Consecutive or Alternating Semesters
The Co-op work experience consists of two or three full-time work periods interpersed with semesters of full-time academic coursework, with a few caveats:
- The work periods cannot be only summer semesters; at least one semester must be a spring or fall semester.
- A student cannot work three semesters in a row. If your job position requires this continuity, this will require approval from the Co-op Director as there are numerous factors to consider.
- Some of the majors have specific semesters that they can work, due to the logistics of their major.
- Computer Engineering students will likely work only two semesters as only two of the Co-op courses will apply to their major.
- Biomedical Engineering students can work only two semesters.
- The first work semester will start in the summer and the second semester can be either in the fall or spring semester.
- Biomedical Engineering students cannot take an out-of-town position because they have an on-campus course that they need to take.
- Employers hiring biomedical engineering students must allow the student to leave during the work day to attend this class.
Start and End Dates for the Work Semester
Below is a chart of approximate start and end dates for the working semester. The start and end dates are decided by the employer and student. Students will not be able to work full-time during their academic semester, but they can work full-time during the semester breaks. The University Calendar has the official start and end dates of the semester.
General Dates for the Working Semester
|Working Semester||Approximate Work Start Date||Approximate Work End Date|
|Spring Semester||Any time after New Year's Day (the official semester begins the 3rd week of January)||By the end of May (the official semester ends mid-May)|
|Summer Semester||Anytime after the official end of the spring semester in mid-May.||Before Labor Day|
|Fall Semester||Early September (the official semester begins the day after Labor Day)||By the end of December or mid-January (the official semester ends mid-December)|